Sunday, June 9, 2013

The Canada Trip - starting off!

Surrinder here: At long last, we are on the road ... beginning our journey! It took much effort and many days of preparations to reach this point. We'll share some of the preparations and van customizations in future blogs ... so, stay tuned!


We were given a grand send-off by the students and Headmistress Asifa of Jubilee Montessori in Surrey.  Asifa (Shamir's cousin) did a similar overland car trip across the country 8 years ago, and enthusiastically made suggestions and recommendations as she went through her scrapbook.  The pictures say it all!




We took the Yellowhead highway north to Jasper ... it felt so good to be on a road I had never been on before. The road choice did not disappoint! We saw two deer and TWO grizzly bears near Mount Robson National Park. The bears seemed quite content munching on grass and dandelions. We felt blessed to have watched them for about an hour by the road in two different locations.

At the end of  the day, there was the rainbow I had been expecting! We are now on Mountain time which is one hour ahead of Pacific time ... it was past 10:00 PM and it was still light out! I am feeling pretty grateful for this opportunity to just roam ... possibly like some gypsy ancestors from the past!

We're in Jasper today, and went to Medicine Lake (not to be confused with Medicine Hat, which is also in Alberta ...).  A rare photo of the two of us ...

So, all of you might wonder why this trip across Canada? I really don't have any burning questions that need answered. But, I am curious about how and why we became the second biggest country in the world. It doesn't quite make sense in my own mind ... so, maybe this is something I might be able to figure out or not? Trying to find the words to describe what I feel about Canada is difficult because in a sense I owe everything I am to this beautiful country.

Today, June 9, is Derek's birthday, I believe it will be a great year for him and Bree!





Shamir says ... Here's a picture of Surrinder, blogging away just minutes ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment